I have been receiving phone calls and emails from people who have received correspondence from the Social Security Tribunal enclosing a Notice of Readiness document. I am suggesting that you DO NOT sign this document until you have had your file reviewed by a professional.
Highlights of the Notice of Readiness include:
1. HRSDC (CPP Disability) and the Appellant (YOU) have a maximum of 365 days to sign a Notice of Readiness and send it to the Social Security Tribunal.
2. The Notice of Readiness advises the Social Security Tribunal that you are ready to proceed with the appeal.
3. If you have additional information to submit to the Social Security Tribunal it is important you send this before or at the time you submit the Notice of Readiness.
4. HRSDC (CPP disability) is also required to sign the Notice of Readiness. As soon as the Social Security Tribunal gets this document they will forward you a copy. If you have not sent in your Notice of Readiness you will be asked if you are ready to proceed. At this point, you will have the opportunity to file additional documents and submissions with your Notice of Readiness.
5. If you have filed your Notice of Readiness first, if CPP decides to file additional documents or submissions, you will be allowed the opportunity to respond and file additional documents with a new Notice of Readiness.
6. When both parties have confirmed they are ready - THEN THE TRIBUNAL WILL PROCEED WITH YOUR APPEAL
If you had an appeal pending at the Review Tribunal, your appeal will be deemed to be received by the Social Security Tribunal on April 1, 2013. Which means you have until March 31,2014 to submit your Notice of Readiness.
ONCE THE SOCIAL SECURITY TRIBUNAL HAS RECEIVED THE FINAL NOTICE OF READINESS FROM BOTH PARTIES, IT WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS OR WRITTEN SUBMISSION.
Any one who has received this document I caution you not to sign and submit the Notice of Readiness until you have had your file reviewed by a professional or feel 100 percent confident that you are ready to proceed.
There are going to be a lot of people who are very anxious to sign this document because it is the only way that you will be able to get an appeal scheduled. I understand this. You have been waiting a long time for an opportunity to be heard. But you must understand the implications.
Please contact my office if you have questions or would like to discuss this document with me.